- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups shredded cheese, divided
- 16 ounces gluten-free elbow macaroni
- Preheat oven to 375° F and grease 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions BUT reduce cooking time so the pasta is still quite a bit firm.
- Drain macaroni and set aside.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan.
- Stir in seasoned salt and pepper; remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk corn starch into milk until smooth.
- Stir milk into butter mixture and whisk until well-blended.
- Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until thickened (about 5 minutes or so) and remove from heat.
- Stir three cups of shredded cheese into sauce until melted; reserve one cup of cheese for topping.
- Combine cheese mixture with macaroni and spoon into prepared pan.
- Top with crunchy topping (recipe below) and reserved shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until crunchy topping is nice and toasty.
- CRUNCHY TOPPING: Pulse in a food processor until it becomes coarse crumbs: 2 slices toasted gluten-free bread; 1 tsp butter, softened; 1/2 teaspoons paprika.