- 3⁄4 cup red lentil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 1⁄2 cups fish stock
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 lb cod fish fillet, skinned and cut into large chunks
- 1 salt, to taste
- 1 lemon wedge (to garnish)
- Put the lentils in a saucepan with the turmeric and stock. Bring to the boil, cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the lentils are just tender. Remove from the heat and add salt.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan. Add the cumin seeds and, when they begin to pop, add the ginger and cayenne pepper. Stir-fry the spices for a few seconds, then pour on to the lentils. Add the lemon juice and the coriander and stir them gently into the mixture.
- Lay the pieces of cod on top of the lentils, cover the pan and then cook gently over a low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the fish is tender.
- Serve garnished with chopped coriander leaves and one or two lemon wedges.