- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 3⁄4 lb small mushroom
- 18 small onions, Peeled
- 3 lbs boneless lean beef, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- pepper, to taste
- parsley, to garnish
- In pan, brown onions and mushrooms in butter, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add beef cubes in batches, browning well on all sides. Set aside.
- To remaining fat in pot, stir in flour. Add stock, wine and tomato paste. Bring to boil, stirring as sauce thickens.
- Add garlic, salt, thyme, bay leaf and pepper.
- Place meat and sauce in large casserole. Cover and bake at 350 F for 2 hours. Add onions for last 30 minutes, and mushrooms for last 15 minutes.
- Top with parsley before serving.