- 4 cups plain yogurt, regular
- 3 large cucumbers, peeled and seeded
- 3 garlic cloves (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- fresh ground pepper (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup freshly chopped mint leaf (or to taste) (optional)
- Line a sieve with a double thickness of dampened cheesecloth.
- Spoon in yogurt and set the sieve over a bowl.
- Refrigerate for two to three hours or until yogurt is about half its volume, nicely thick and creamy.
- Shred or cut cucumber into julienne strips.
- Place in a colander in sink or over a bowl, sprinkle generously with salt, mix well and let drain for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
- Rinse and gently pat dry.
- In a mortor and pestal muddle the garlic into a bit salt.
- Add to the thickened yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, olive oil, and if desired, the pepper and mint.
- Mix well.
- Serve or refrigerate for a day or two so flavors mingle.
- Stir again before serving and sprinkle with additional minced mint leaves if desired.