- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (mixed with 1/3 cup water)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- In a deep skillet over medium heat, add oil and when hot, add onions; sauté for 2 minutes. Add red peppers and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes; sauté 1 minute. Pour in chicken broth and white wine; stir. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, about 5 minutes, or until it reduces down to half.
- Add peas, chicken, heavy cream and rosemary; stir, reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. Add cheese and season with freshly ground black pepper; simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Add cornstarch mixture and stir until sauce thickens, about 45 seconds. Remove from heat and spoon immediately in vol-au-vent. Place caps on top and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley. Serve 4.
- Note: For a less formal presentation, substitute puff pastries for pasta or rice.