- 1⁄2 cup sweet creamy butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 lemons, zest of, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Beat well after each.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating two times with the buttermilk, then lemon juice, and then vanilla.
- Beat just until smooth.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold them into the muffin batter until blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, 3/4-full.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely.
- I sometimes sprinkle the muffin mixture with sugar prior to putting in the oven just to add a little extra sweetness.